From today (Monday, 15/2/21), new traffic restrictions prohibiting the movement of traffic by Wawel Castle come into effect.
Traffic, with a few exceptions, listed below, is now prohibited from driving round the back of the castle, via ul. św. Idziego iPodzamcze, between the area at the foot of Grodzka, round the back of the castle, past Kanonicza towards the river (Powisłe).
There are mixed feelings amongst drivers and residents, with some bemoaning being deprived of this popular transit shortcut, whilst others have stated the restriction is long overdue.
The following vehicles will be permitted to enter the restricted traffic zone on ul. st. Idziego and Podzamcze:
- Residents with a K type parking subscription to sectors A1, A2, A4,
- Between 8pm. to 9pm, and 1pm – 2pm only for un/loading and maintenance activities
- Bicycles, horse-drawn carriages, consular corps, diplomatic corps, public transport , taxis, post office,
- Special services, municipal services, medical assistance,
- Access to the property, garage or reserved reserved space on ul. Podzamcze, ul. św. Idziego and Wawel Royal Castle,
- Access to the property at ul. Grodzka 64,
- Supplying the property at ul. św. Gertrudy 26-29,
- With the permission of the Krakow City Roads Authority.
A Scot in Kraków. The founder and editor of Kraków Expats Directory, and our sister site Kraków TV www.krakowtv.pl.
David fell in love with Kraków 23 years ago, making it his home in 2011. In 2020 he was awarded the title of Kraków’s Ambassador of Multiculturalism, by the President of Kraków.
We’re always looking for interesting stories, events, characters or groups to feature. Likewise, if you’d like to join us, as a contributor, please get in touch.