British Embassy Warsaw

We develop and maintain relations between the UK and Poland. Our work covers a range of issues including political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to both countries.

We also provide consular assistance to British nationals in Poland. The visa section processes applications for entry clearance to the UK made within the Central and Eastern European region, including the Ukraine, Kosovo, Moldova and eight EU countries.


British Ambassador – Jonathan Knott
British Ambassador – Jonathan Knott

Jonathan was appointed Her Majesty´s Ambassador to Poland in April 2016. He was previously Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Hungary between February 2012 and April 2015. Jonathan joined the FCO in 1988 and has held a variety of diplomatic posts at home and abroad, several with a particular focus on commercial and corporate finance issues.  Jonathan is married and has one daughter and two sons.

Services for British nationals
Urgent assistance
If you’re in Poland and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +48 22 311 00 00. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Poland, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document (ETD) if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible. Call us before making an appointment if you’ve never applied for a British passport before or if you’re applying for a child under the age of 16. Please note that the Polish police do not issue police reports when a passport is reported lost. Please be informed that there is a photo booth available at the consular reception inside the embassy. It produces the required size and format photos for the charge of 20 PLN.

Book an appointment for an emergency travel document in Poland

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Poland, seetravel advice for Poland.

Get a visa

The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We can issue certificates of no impediment, affirmations or affidavits of marital status and, in some circumstances, perform a marriage or civil partnership for British nationals. For information on getting married in Poland, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in Poland. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy or our consulates.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Poland and you’re still in the country, contact us . If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Poland. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

We may be able to offer notarial services, including administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit; make a certified copy of a document. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

Warsaw provides legalisation services. Read our notarial and documentary services page for more information on legalisation.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Poland. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are avictim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions,missing peopleand kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Poland

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services.
See the full list of consular fees in Poland

Consular enquiries: (contact form)

General enquiries:

VISA Services – Contact Form 


Rate and write a review

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Kawalerii 12
Warszawa 00-468 mazowieckie PL
Get directions

Is this your business?Claim it now.

Make sure your information is up to date.
Mon - Fri: 08:30am - 16:30 Consular Section Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri: 09:00am - 12:30 Closed Wed & Public Holidays
Created by Rflor from the Noun Project